Thursday, August 8, 2013

Hey, I just met you. Now CHANGE, dammit!

I was at a park and an older man motioned for me to sit across from him. He wore a cap that said, "Campers for Christ." I had seen him praying and it was pretty obvious what he was about. If he ever asked for my name, that's all he knew about me before he began sharing the Gospel. I listened quietly and respectfully as he unfolded a brief summary about the life and significance of Jesus and then he asked me if I'd heard the story. I paused briefly as I tried to evaluate the most loving way to respond.

Wait! How is it you said you know me?


I guess I'm honored that I look like a sinner. I hate thinking that someone might look at me and think that I'm a good person. But I sat and listened to this guy cold-pitch the gospel to me for at least a good minute before I was given a chance to share anything about myself. Once I had spoken, his startled expression made it clear to me that the last thing he expected was for me to be a practicing Christian minister.

What a loud-mouthed bunch we are! There seems to be only one mission in modern evangelism: "I need to get people to believe what I believe." Many Christian leaders will convince you that you can debate people into Heaven. The sad truth is that by our assurance that we are the sole bearers of truth, we stand in the way of the work God wants to do through our lives. Our mouths are wide open as we shout Jesus's name, but our ears cannot hear God's voice over our repetitive jabbering.

A pathetic characteristic of the Church is this widespread belief that it is a character flaw to not know Jesus. Without knowing the experiences that have brought that person to where he/she is today, we will simply deem that person as 'less enlightened' than those who attend our church. We're oblivious to the fact that a person's rejection of Christianity may not be as much a 'logic' thing as it is a 'heart' thing. When we tell people that Jesus is the answer to their problems, we have no idea that the root of that person's problems just may have come from those who claimed to represent Christ. Yet the Church at large is prone to not address the issue. In countless people's lives, "Jesus" is the name that has accompanied the worst evils they've ever witnessed.

Stop thinking that you're so important!


If you think that God loves you because you love Him, how dare you? Who the hell do you think you are to think that your life is somehow more valuable to God than someone who, for all you know, was driven away from Him by people like you? There are two things you can do with your life: you can get in God's way or you can get out of God's way. If you want to learn true surrender and submission to God, remember that God doesn't owe you anything and that you can't help Him accomplish anything He can't accomplish without you.

Understand that God's love for us is unfathomably great, but His love is no greater for one person than it is for another. The love bestowed upon us is not merited by anything of our own doing but by what He has done. It is the very fact that we are beautifully made by God and in His image that we are the recipients of His love. Regardless of our belief system, we are still the work of His hands and we are his prized creation.

They were speaking ironically, right?


There's this commonly held philosophy that all people are "basically good." Now, I can see where people can get mixed up, here. It's easy to do the right thing when the benefits of doing the wrong thing are small and the repercussions are foreseeable. We usually get something nice in return when we do something nice to someone else, even if the reward is simply feeling good about ourselves. But put any human being in a position of high power and you can watch all of that supposed 'goodness' melt away. Our truly evil colors show when the perceived reward for our corruption is high and we're sure that we can dodge the consequences.

All mankind is basically evil. To our very core, we are selfish, greedy, and twisted. That is the very reason that we cannot save ourselves. That is why Biblical law cannot save us - it is against our very makeup to be truly good, following both the spirit and the letter of the law. From the surface of our skin to the deepest pit of our souls, we are corrupt. Only the blood of Christ can pay the debt we owe for our vile nature.

So why would God want to save us if we're so bad? Because we're beautiful! Even in our unfathomable perdition, humans bear unmistakable signs of God's love, goodness, and character. Jumbled among our wayward fiber, we find trademarks of God's magnificent craftsmanship and glimpses of His grace. Although we are now fallen and sinful, God still made us just a little bit like Himself and for that reason, he takes pride in us and desires us. Because of our ability to turn away from Him, He values the worship that we bring to Him. It's voluntary!

Pardon my French


I hope that you understand my heart when I say this because I cannot conceive strong enough words to describe what I'm trying to communicate. Too many beautiful people are being treated like shit by the people whose conduct influences the reputation of Christ. Who are we to treat our equals as lesser life forms simply because they don't believe in the God we worship?

I think we're in dire need of a change of mindset. People need to be saved but they don't need to be fixed. There's a big difference between the two. We're broken, yes. But we'll be broken until the day we die. Accepting Jesus into your heart just doesn't fix you - not in this life, anyway. I'm in love with God, but I am still very, very broken. I'm so glad that God never fixed me, though. If my problems were solved, I'd stop needing Him. If I wasn't overwhelmed by my insufficiencies, I'd never cry out to God for help. If I wasn't ashamed by my faults, I'd be overrun by pride. The greatest beauty I have ever seen in my life is my dependence on God.

Christian love needs to change, too. People know when your love is insincere. If we are magnificent in the eyes of our creator, we should also see that magnificence in each other. If Jesus considered mankind worth dying for, shouldn't we extend to our fellow human beings, saved and unsaved, the honor and admiration suitable for those who are treasured by the King?

Love as a means or love as an end?


I want to issue a challenge to the evangelical Christians out there who think that the purpose of Christianity is to get people saved. We are not called to be commissioned salespeople: we're called to be God's "satisfied customers." Our job is not to 'sell' God to the masses but to demonstrate His love in action in our lives. We can stop hiding the fact that we are still broken so that others can know just the kinds of people Jesus saves and how He uses them.

Jesus saves people. We don't. I realize now that Jesus never summed up the law as, "Convert as many people as possible." People know when someone is trying to convert them and I can't say that I can blame anyone for being somewhat offended or put off by that. It offended me to be evangelized. When we make disciples, it should not be the purpose for which our 'love' aims, but rather a natural by-product of God's love that reflects from our lives. 

Jesus commanded us to love one another. But I don't think we should love one another simply because Jesus said we're supposed to. I want to be loving people as an outpouring of my gratitude that God has created them and blessed my life with his magnificent handiwork. His fingerprints are on everyone. No, we are not "basically good": we're basically evil; but I am convinced that every person has beauty interwoven into the fabric of their being that somehow reveals the character of God, in whose image mankind was created.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like what you've just read, please give me a +1! To stay updated on my latests posts subscribe by email and/or follow me on Google+. I'm also on Twitter! @jeremy_clifton