Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Why I Can't Save My Virginity for Marriage Any Longer

My stomach hurts today. It hurts like it used to a long time ago. In fact, it's hurt for a couple of weeks, now. It's the burning of acid-reflux and it's miserable. Laying down is not fun and enjoying some of my favorite flavors (the spicy ones, in particular) brings uncomfortable consequences. I realized after some thought that these are the symptoms that only arise when I am under stress. I asked myself, "What am I stressed about? What has me so worried?" It seems that I'm lovesick again. It's that feeling you get when you want to be held. You don't even need to be pining for anyone in particular for this to occur, it's just that you want somebody to make you feel safe. It's the panging to be physically and emotionally intertwined with another person you find sexually attractive. It's been a while since I've felt this kind of lovesick and I'm grateful for the fact that I've gone roughly a year now without the smoldering craving for romance and intimacy.

But it's back. My stomach burns for relief like my heart burns for love. I'm 26 now. Long before, I imagined that this would be the age at which I'd have a wife and at least one kid with another one on its way. But I'm still a virgin today and most high school students have more relationship miles on their odometers than I have as an adult in his mid 20s. The topic was even brought up last weekend and a couple of women at church assured me that the "right" girl is out there and that I'll meet her someday. The words are so kind and they used to be comforting, but there's a grassy field in my mind with a tombstone that reads: "RIP: Family Plans." I don't say, "When I get married," anymore. I say, "If I get married." No longer, "When I have kids," but "If I have kids." Most people hear my words and conclude that I've lost my faith in love.

Can we stop lying to each other???


Why do so many people find it necessary to assure their single friends that "true love" will come? They're well-meaning words and I know that they're aimed to comfort the downtrodden, but they're not necessarily true. While I realize that this happens quite often outside of Christian circles, it still troubles me that supposedly Bible-believing Christians perpetuate this idea that love will come when you least expect it. There's this widely-circulated philosophy that, "You need to stop trying to find the perfect special someone and focus on being that special someone." To me, it paints this picture of a guy and girl who are made for each other, placed in separate rooms, and preparing for their blind date with each other.

The reason I detest this is because it places this idea in our heads that we were made for some other special person: that missing puzzle piece. It's as if our entire existence and purpose is for that special someone that we'll someday meet down the road.  Understand that as I write this, I believe in this kind of love less now than I ever have before. I, who used to imagine being married with kids and happy, now just try to imagine being happy. There are just no guarantees in life and I can rest on nothing more than my salvation through Christ. But God never promised me a wife or kids.

I'm told often, "Don't worry. The right one will come around." The problem is that nobody can know that for sure and the people who say that could be wrong. The odds are good that if I keep wanting love, I'll find it. But unlike before, I now know how fragile my heart is and I probably guard myself more than I should because I want love but I don't want any more hurt, so I avoid it. It may be that my heart is as well-equipped for romance as my skin is for sunlight.  Sometimes it works out that love will find a person once they stop looking for it, but life doesn't work out that way for everyone and people need to be sensitive to that before they start claiming that they know the formula to finding one's soulmate. I've stopped looking for or wanting love for long enough now that I should have found at least five or six soulmates in close proximity to choose from.

I don't believe that love will find me


Love might find me. I welcome the possibility! But I'm not sure of it like I used to be. I've been through the five stages of loss and grief over this issue. I've denied it, I've been angry about it, I've bargained with God about it, and I've borne an overwhelming amount of depression because of it.  But not until sometime during the last year have I really come to a place of peace and acceptance of it. 

There's a strong chance that I'll never fall in love and get married. If I do, I could lose her and never love again. We may never be able to conceive children of our own. If we do, we may outlive some of them. If we can't have kids, we may try to adopt and be unable to for some reason. It may be part of God's plan for me that the deep desires of my heart to be a husband and a daddy, a lover and provider, may never be fulfilled. I would love for my dreams to come true, but I know now that these are unrealistic expectations.

I'm no longer saving my virginity for marriage


Now before you think I'm throwing a pity party and trying to get attention, though I'm sure you're already thinking that, I need you to know that the reason I say all of this is because this process has brought me to a place of deeper faith than I've ever had in my entire life. I used to lay awake at night, haunted by these fears that the things that I wish for may never come true. These aren't fears anymore. It's not that I don't believe they could come true - they just might. But I know that I'll be alright, even if my life never meets those hopes and expectations I've had for it since I was very young.

I wasted too much of my time trying to become the most perfect 'future husband' possible in preparation for the woman God 'has chosen for me' when I could have been a lot happier just trying to be as unabashedly awesome as possible. During this time of reconciliation with reality, I've met a place where I'm no longer remaining sexually abstinent for my future wife and her happiness. Instead, I'm abstaining for me. Because I can't see how being sexually active outside of marriage can be constructive toward achieving my goals in career and ministry, I choose to keep it out of my life. Most days, I don't even believe such a woman exists who could love me and make me happy; but I see my face in the mirror every day and I know that this is a person who will need my love and consideration every day of my life. 

A better faith


It's been a long road that has brought me to where I stand today. But I now have a better idea of what authentic faith needs to mean for me and for other people who are seeking to know God. My faith can no longer be a belief that things will happen or work out a certain way: it needs to be that no matter how life works out, I know that God will never cease to be sovereign, perfect, all-powerful, and loving. Pleasant circumstances are not the evidence of God's love: His love is present even in our aches and pains. Though our situations change, God's love never changes. 

I experience physical pain today for the blessings I wish I had. I fantasize that a beautiful woman will suddenly grab me by the collar and start making out with me. I'd give up a week of food if I could spend just a couple hours under the stars with a pretty girl in my arms; strands of her hair between my fingers and foreheads pressed together between kisses. But in life, there will be pain and sadness. I'll cry today, but I'll also make a difference in someone's life today. If I die at age 90 and my last kiss a year ago now is the last kiss I've ever had, God never stopped being God. I pray that even through my brokenness, people will be caught up in God's love as a result of the life I lived.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome post J-Clif, I think it is awesome that even though you are discouraged, that you are taking that discouragement and instead of letting it pull you away from God and a Godly life you are using that pain to pull you closer to Him and make you stronger. That's awesome bro, i respect that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brother Jeremy,
    There was a time not that long ago that I thought exactly what you thought. Actually, I hate to say it but my thinking was probably way worse. I had "stinkin' thinkin". For awhile there I thought that I couldn't be loveable; that no woman would ever really love me and want to be my wife and the mother of my children.

    I was a very angry person. Depression is just anger turned inward. I drank a lot, got into a lot of fights, been in jail, and cried a lot. But ultimately God sent me someone. And not just any someone but THE ONE. He sent me my wife. The moment I met her and spent a few minutes with her in that restaurant, I knew we were going to get married. It's a wierd gut-punching feeling that you get but believe me, you'll get it. And we have been married now for 8 years with two beautiful little girls (7 & 4 years old).

    Despite what you may think and what you wrote, I disagree with you. I believe there IS someone out there who is looking for you just as you seek her. I DO believe that you will not only find love but that this love will be fulfilling, enriching and satisfy you in every possible way. And I KNOW that we serve a wonderful, merciful and loving God. Have faith in Him that he will take care of you.

    Brother Jeremy, my wife and I will be in deep prayer for you to find that special someone. My younger brother is also going through what you're going through. He's 41. Imagine how difficult it must be for him! But have faith and know that you are loved. As I said, we will be keeping you in our prayers. Stay strong!

    In His Grip,
    Pastor Sung Kim
    Redding, CA
    Cornerstone Community Church

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I have to re-disagree because it's this kind of thinking that got me uptight in the first place. My fears of being forever single aren't fears anymore. If I'm single my entire life, I'll be okay because I know that God's spirit will guide me and hopefully use my loneliness and brokenness to bless others that He loves.

      I've learned and I'm sure you have as well, that living in anguished anticipation is not a healthy way to live. I can't control when I'll meet 'that special someone,' but I can control my attitude about my past, my present, and the many different paths my future could potentially hold - even the less favorable ones. I truly believe that the faith God wants from us is surrender to His plan, not to our idea of what His plan should include.

      I'm happier now because I don't hate God anymore. Thank you for your prayer. I still pray that God will bring a wonderful woman into my life to be my partner in marriage. If I'm wrong, I hope that your examination of the scriptures will show me where God promises me marriage, kids, and happiness. Until then, I will continue to make peace with the many possibilities my life could hold and be insistent only that I will go nowhere that God's presence will not accompany me.

      Forever weak,
      Jeremy Clifton

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Jeremy!

    I absolutely agree with your mindset on this. The reason why? 1 Corinthians 7 is a Godly person's relationship reality. There is no promise of "finding love" in this passage, just the idea that--no matter whom a person is with or not with--every Christian needs to stay devoted to the Lord on a personal level, whether in maintaining a God-centered single life or a God-centered marriage.

    I really admire that you've decided to keep your virginity in order to develop a stronger relationship with Christ rather than solely for your possible future wife. That is extraordinarily wise!

    If I may share, I reached the same point you wrote about a couple of years ago. I was nineteen years old and had never been in a romantic relationship, never gone on a date, never been kissed. I wanted SOOOOOOO badly to know what it was like to have sex with a Godly husband, to be enveloped in his arms, to be so closely joined with another body and spirit, to be loved deeply, to be respected in such a profound way. For years, I had believed that the happiest day of a girl's life is her wedding day, and I drooled for my own like a starving lovesick puppy.

    But as much as I prayed, there were no takers nor prospects.

    So, God inspired me to make a decision; was I going to be miserable in my singleness forever, or was I going to be, as Paul wrote, "content whatever the circumstances...in any and every situation" (Philippians 4:11-12)? I too gave God my hopes and dreams of a family and children and said, "If I never have children, get married, or have sex, I still have everything I need in Christ." That is true to this day.

    And like clockwork, this new found mentality was put to the test.

    Months later, God brought a perfect young man into my life. I thought my glorious surrender was the reason this guy came around, and thus, I believed that he was "the one". I thought he was a God-send. However, after a horrible, heart-breaking relationship, I felt as though God had broken some great promise.

    Not long after, I realized that, if what I had told God were true, my pain would be used for His glory in some way, and it wouldn't matter if that guy were the last guy I ever dated. I STILL had everything I needed in Christ, and losing hope in a guy didn't change that.

    Rather, I believe that young man came into my life because some part of me still thought that the American dream of a perfect little family was a deep inherent need in me. God needed to kill that worldly desire in me, and I praise Him every day for it.

    Now, I am in a long-term relationship; although it is admittedly a struggle, my boyfriend and I both agree that if we are called to break up, we would hold onto that "peace of God, which transcends all understanding" (Philippians 4:7). We are "content whatever the circumstances". We have collectively given up on the idea that we NEED each other (or anyone for that matter), yet we embrace the possibility that God may want us to be married someday.

    To conclude my novel of a comment, I can tell that you've really thought about this, and I truly respect your decision. I pray that God does have a wonderful Godly lady for you somewhere, but if He doesn't, I have faith (and I hope you do too) that you have everything you'll ever need in Christ's love, a love already nestled inside of you and intertwined with your heart.

    God Bless,
    Carrie Gendle

    ReplyDelete

If you like what you've just read, please give me a +1! To stay updated on my latests posts subscribe by email and/or follow me on Google+. I'm also on Twitter! @jeremy_clifton